Next SSSIJ: July 17-19. 2019. EXTENDED Application Deadline: Monday, April 15, 2019
The 3-day summer institute is organized by Nicholas Lemann (Columbia University) and Tali Woodward (The Trace) and has been hosted annually at the foundation’s NYC office since 2017. The program accepts about 15-20 participants. Most participant costs during the institute, including housing and most meals, are covered, and travel expenses are reimbursed up to a set cap.
The program involves instructional sessions in the morning and application-oriented sessions in the afternoon. Guest speakers, both journalists and social scientists, help with both the instructional and application aspects of the program, and point journalists toward current topics where interaction with social science may be useful.
Participants must submit a two-page description of a journalistic project they would like to do that involves at least one significant issue studied by social scientists and complete some readings in advance.
Participation is restricted to U.S.-based journalists. Priority will be given to journalists who write about topics of interest to RSF.
Applications must be submitted via the RSF online application portal, Fluxx.
- Create an account or log in to your existing account. **Account registrations are approved manually, please allow up to 48 hours for a new account to be approved**
- Start a new "Summer Institute" application and select “Social Science for Journalists.”
- Submit the following documents:
- a statement (maximum three pages) describing both your current work and your interest in social science research (especially as it relates to RSF’s research programs)
- an abbreviated curriculum vitae;
- writing samples (no more than 20 pages total).
Inquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Technical questions about the application portal (Fluxx) can be sent to email@example.com